Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Has it been a week already?

As I was uploading the picture of the sock we found in the vacuum this morning. I realized it has been a week already since our traumatic day at the doctor (and since my last post). I wondered to myself where it had gone and the pictures I uploaded reminded me.....

Oh yeah, I spent the week saving Owen from himself and when I wasn't saving his life, I was cleaning up his messes. I have a new found respect for all those moms who have raised (or are raising) a whole slug of boys (you know who you are..Michelle, Jan, Cindy...). I have always wanted a BIG family...like 5,6 or 8 children (crazy, I know). I like the chaos and challenges that come with having a large family and I LOVE babies, but I have to tell ya, I'm seriously second guessing myself. My girls are so well behaved. I rarely have to ask them not to do something more than once. But Owen, seriously, he lives to see my blood pressure rise. Please enlighten me. Is this just the nature of boys?...Or do we have an especially challenging one?
He was the perfect baby..really..he was. Always happy and easygoing, never fussy and so loving. He not only tolerated the nonstop kissing and hugging his 3 big sisters gave him, he LOVED it. But then he started to crawl and walk and climb and then RUN....and holy moley that child is non-stop poor judgment. And he loves it when he's in trouble and I have to chase him down while he's running and laughing his little heart out.

And since I'm sort of ranting, I should probably write this down so I remember that he can still be oh so sweet. Last night at family home evening, he spent the whole time moving from one person to the next, showering all of us with hugs and kisses and then when it was time to pray, he knelt down next to the coffee table and folded his sweet little roley poley arms and melted all our hearts. Yeah, we love that boy.
Check out that grin. He knows he's in trouble and he loves it!...so naughty

On the counter again and with a whole box of Cheerios...
I couldn't blame him for climbing on the counter this time. Wouldn't you risk life and limb for a Golden Oreo? And check out that goose egg still loud and proud on his forehead.

My Dear Boy,
Do not assume that just because I don't have picture-proof of the 764 times I hoisted you down from the counter last week...or of the entire box of Fruity Pebbles that you so graciously emptied on my floor, or of the tube of sunblock you squirted on the carpet, or the head of lettuce you carefully shredded and spread about the kitchen, or of the Vaseline you smeared all over your legs and across the floor of the castle tent, or of the banana you stabbed right through with a knife only missing your fingers by a few centimeters, or of the unassuming home teacher who sat innocently on the couch while you snuck up behind him and attempted to smack him over the head with a pole from the above mentioned castle tent...that I will forget. No son, I have filed all of this in my long term memory and when you are 16 and you want to borrow the car or 10 bucks, I will remember and I will most likely decide that, while I love you more than words, I probably don't owe you any favors.
Love,
Mom

He did have one good idea this week. He found this helmet and put it on...now if only he would leave it on...then I could let him climb on the counters at his will:)

11 comments:

Lindsay said...

Lol, you know the saying boys will be boys. It is soooooo true. What a little cutie!

Unknown said...

He is definitely a boy. I hope my girl is as well-behaved as yours. I need it after my two boys. We have done the bumped heads, fat lips, stitches... good thing they are pretty tough. Good luck!

Kimberly said...

It's boys for sure!! However, Bailey did beat Taysum in the broken bone race...overall, though...boys are just...wow!!!

Aubrey said...

He makes me laugh, shake my head in amazement, and thankful I'm having another girl...maybe we will quit while we're ahead. JK. I love that little guy but don't know how you do it! I have so much respect for you and am glad you did it before me so when my boy does come....someday. I will call you for advice. Hang in there. Do we have to wait for your birthday for a get a way? You deserve one every week!!!

Lundberg Family said...

I love the post! Owen sounds like he keeps you on your toes for sure! But they are so worth it! I keep telling myself that before long they will all be grown up and gone and I will be wishing for the crazy life of young ones! CJ starts middle school next year...time flies! Have fun, keep sane, and enjoy every minute of it!

Anonymous said...

You are so funny!! I love to read your posts...especially about Owen. He seems like such a cutie and a go getter. I have to say I have had a few challenging ones but I think that it is always the first. They have to try it all out and make you think that you aren't going to make it through another boy. Hang in there, it gets better!!

Sapp Family said...

I really do think its boys for sure. I grew up with and helped watch three of my younger brothers...they're definetely more energetic and messier. Love you guys!

Anonymous said...

Yep, that is a boy for ya...but they are so worth it! Weston was so hard to disapline because everything was one big game to him, he would just laugh us off! But my boys are the sweetest snugglers!

Jenni said...

Ramie,
You are such a good writer! I just love reading your blog. Yes, these boys are wild and crazy but we love them just the same. My little Noah has been doing the exact same thing climbing on EVERYTHING, and of course with the climbling come the falling, and it drives ya crazy because they just climb right back up. Good luck and good work!

The Leithead Family said...

Ha Ha! I had so much fun reading your post!! You definitely have your hands full with that little boy. But he is oh-so-cute! :)

Traci Kannard said...

wow...I thought I had been keeping up with all your goings on...but where have I been to have missed all of this info? Man what a horrible experience with Owen and his head...so glad he is okay, and then the sock, isn't it great when they want to help and then make it more work in the end...but you still have to sit back and just laugh...and last but not least the counter...I am soooo glad I never had those experiences but I feel for you...hopefully he will out grow his as you say horrible judgement and by the way thanks for the laugh on the whole comment thing of remembering all of his antiks for when he wants to barrow the car...so true!!! hope your week goes better this week...stay strong...LOL!!!