Friday, August 27, 2010

Meanwhile...Back at the Ranch

We had a reunion (waaaay back at the end of June)....it was bitter-sweet.....bitter because it was the first reunion since Oma and Opa have both been gone, so you couldn't help but notice a change in dynamics and the feeling that something was missing. It was sweet too though, it was sweet to reconnect and see family that we hadn't seen in years and sweet to be back at the ranch. I love that place, it feels like sacred ground, chock-full of memories. It has always been amazing to me how certain places, smells and sounds can trigger vivid memories, even some that have long ago been forgotten.
My dad built a carousel for the kids. He is so amazing. I wish I would have stepped back and gotten a picture of the whole thing because it was the cutest and, of course, turned out to be a huge hit with the crowd of littles.


Owen rode the carousel and I kept taking his picture until he gave me "the look."
My dad also brought a barrel train that was super fun....



 We found a little kitty and Lily was in L-O-V-E. It was wild at first, so she ended up with scratches up her arms, but she was undeterred and before the end of the day, that little kitty loved her right back.

There was a creek that was perfect for wading...
Even for the littlest littles.



Owen was pretty sure he wanted to wade in the creek naked, I caught him in the buff several times.
My cousin spent literally hours painting faces....

The big kids stayed so busy, we scarcely heard from them. They hung out and spent countless hours boating on the pond where they took turns "accidentally" tipping each other's boats.



My dad also set up a four-wheeler course and stood out in the sun supervising rides.....did I mention he is amazing?

Getting Crafty.....(we decorated tea towels and made mosaic stepping stones)



There was food and cute little chefs.


1 comment:

Kara said...

What a fun time...looks like every kids' dream. And your pictures are just beautiful. You are so talented!