....and did you know that when a fire alarm is pulled at the school, no one has a magic key or special code to make the flashing lights and sirens stop....no one except the local fire department?
So, the fire department has to respond, with a line of shiny red trucks, lights flashing and sirens blaring.
....and did you know that even when they know a small boy pulled the alarm and there is no emergency, they still have to evacuate the building (apparently it's standard procedure)...even if people have just stepped out of the pool and are sopping wet and clad in only their swimsuits?
....and did you know that when the extremely grouchy fireman in charge (who must have forgotten that his own son pulled a few fast ones himself) responds, he'll ask who's boy pulled the alarm and then he'll give you a little lecture about telling your children that pulling the alarm isn't a joke, and when one of the oh so sweet rec. ladies pipes up in your defense to tell him that your boy is only 2 for heaven sakes, he'll get all huffy and look at you and say "Well then, you need to be watching him!"
.....and in that very moment you will probably choke back tears and feel like the worst parent ever and wish you could somehow disappear.
People keep telling me this whole ordeal will be funny someday, and I'll laugh about it......
In my defense, the fire alarm he pulled was a mere 10 feet from where I was sitting, so although I may not have been watching him at the precise moment he reached up and curiously pulled that lever, I really was "watching" him.
And I have to say that although the one fireman was a real treat, everyone else, including the rec. ladies who had to evacuate the building in their swimsuits, were really quite kind about the whole ordeal.
And just to add a little insult to injury....Chris is on the fire department, and I believe he has been teased just a little about the whole ordeal, but he was also super nice about it all and told me things like he doesn't think I am a delinquent mother, and that 2 year olds are curious and they do things like pull fire alarms that are low enough for them to reach.
(Owen innocently watching his sisters swim, just minutes before "the incident")


3 comments:
Thanks for the smile!! Oh the joyous moments in the life of a young mother!! :-) Someday you really will look back and smile!!
By the way, I think you're an amazing Mom!!
Oh, wow! Kind of reminds me of Caleb's little escapade yesterday, throwing dirt on our neighbor's car. And yes, we were watching him out the front window, not every second, but oh goodness, I was glad we caught him before the whole car was covered. Those little boys! Have to love them though!
Haha!! You didn't tell about that one!! Love it... you are an amazing mother! :) Love your pics, they are great!
Post a Comment