Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Seriously!?!

Ok, so we have pretty much disappeared from the blogging scene the last few weeks and posts about what we have been up to are forthcoming...
BUT I needed to get this posted while the experience is fresh. Today was my girls first day of gymnastics in Powell. I signed them up BEFORE I knew that Chris would be teaching summer school and I would have extra kids for the first couple weeks of summer...but who knows? I probably would have signed them up anyway because I'm just a little crazy like that.
Anywho, Grace rolled into a somersault wrong this morning and hurt her clavicle. She isn't a crier, so she never cried, but I was pretty sure it was broken by the way it appeared and how she was acting. Unfortunately, Grace's session was first, followed by Emma's session, then Lily's. So, she had to sit through their sessions before I could load up my 6 kids and head back to Lovell and take her to the doctor.
They couldn't get her into the clinic until late afternoon, so I went ahead and took her to the ER when we got back into town at around noon. We had a DELIGHTFUL doctor who shall remain nameless, but feel free to take a wild guess if you are at all familiar with the local docs.
He walked into the room, grabbed Grace's arm and moved it all around, felt her clavicle and wiggled it around a bit until she was crying for the first time since the initial incident and then he proceeded to tell me that it wasn't broken, but he'd order up some x-rays anyway(just to prove it to me, I guess).
Um...well...yeah, it was broken. Not just hairline fracture broken.....two ends overlapping jotting out in different directions broken. By the time our sympathetic doc came back after seeing the x-rays, he was at least admitting that Grace was probably in a fair amount of pain...seriously, ya think? Perhaps he just assumes most people who wander into the ER, do so because they are bored and have money burning a hole in their pocket.
Grace sporting her new brace. Unfortunately, she will be missing out on the rest of the season of t-ball(her dad is coaching, so he won't be missing it), gymnastics, art camp and swimming lessons. Poor girl.

10 comments:

Teri said...

What a sad way to start her summer. :(
Hopes she heals fast, poor girl.

Tracy said...

I'm sorry Grace!! What a tough girl!!

I know exactely which Dr. you are talking about, so sorry you had to experience that!! :-(

Hang in there!!

The Lennons said...

That's such a sad story! I would have guessed that you were at the Powell ER....My Mom was in a motorcycle wreck last week...long story short they called the next day and said her elbow was fractured and to sling it until next Thurs when she could get into the Ortho doc(even though it didn't bother her like her KNEE did) turns out 5 days later, it was her KNEE that was fractured...where do these ER people come from!?!? I hope Grace feels better soon, poor girl but so tough!

Kara said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Grace. Not a fun way to start out your summer vacation.

Anonymous said...

That HURTS!!! Hang in there little lady.

ozzmom said...

Poor girl I will only see certain Doctors The same thing happened when Ozz fractured his collar bone they said it was nothing well he was never a crier and he would not stop so I took him to Powell and it was fractured and they were going to put him in a sling but he was too little. Yeah weary of our Dr.s here

Sapp Family said...

We stared at this pic for like 5 minutes before we found the brace, then we looked at the full view and sure enough, it's there...
Bummer for grace, we hope she heels up good and soon.

Jaime said...

I'm so sorry to hear that! Poor Gracie! I know exactly which doctor you are talking about too, as we have had several incidents with HIM!! I will not go to this hospital for nothing. I drive to Powell! I sure hope she starts feeling better soon.

Chelsea Tippetts said...

Oh My! Will the excitement never end?!?!?! Poor girl...so sad that she will miss out on so much this summer!! Get feeling better soon! :)

The Leithead Family said...

Oops...I was signed in as my sister, Chelsea! Sorry...