Saturday, August 13, 2011

The Entertainer

One evening, all of the big kids were away spending the night with my mom. Chris was gone to open gym, and Ava and I were left to hold down the fort. I had grand plans for all of the things I would accomplish with only one child. Instead, Ava was bored out of her mind and I found myself being her entertainer, accomplishing nothing aside from keeping her smiling.


She has become quite bossy lately. Here she is shhh-ing the dog. She also polices the cats and if they even consider climbing on a chair or the table, she hollers, "Det Down!".....Too bad she doesn't police herself and hollar, "get down" while she's climbing on the table and counters.


Oh, Lila, how we love thee.....except when I'm sweeping the 5 billion dog hairs that litter the kitchen floor daily, and when you rip apart the cat door and wall because you are a ninny and thunder turns you into a brainless, terror-stricken psycho dog. Yeah, she's been on my list. She's spent many a night in the garage lately. I'm testing the theory "absense makes the heart grow fonder," while we repair the hole in the wall. Dumb dog.


Stopping to snack on some grass.

The cutest $3 shoes I've ever seen.


She tried to feed that handful of grass to Lila. Lila wasn't impressed.



Here she is working those eyes and telling me "wanno wing."


She was right, she did want to swing....If I could freeze time, I surely would so I could drink up her baby sweetness a while longer. She is quickly transitioning from baby to toddler. Every day she surprises me with new words and phrases and she is most content trailing the big kids in search of adventure. The toddler phase is an exciting one and I love it for many reasons, but nothing brings me more contentment than snuggling up a sweet little baby. Thankfully, when Ava is sleepy she is still all baby and longs to be cuddled up. I am happy to accommodate her wishes and sometimes I just hold her while she naps and my heart does a little tug-o-war. On the one side it is so beyond thankful to have already been the mama to five precious babes, on the other side, there is a little tug of sadness at the reality that there probably won't be many more babies at our house. Do you suppose there will be babies in heaven? Because I really can't imagine a heaven without a baby to rock.


3 comments:

Mandy said...

Ava's so sweet. And those are great shoes. I always wanted a little girl to buy that kind of stuff for. But I have no immediate prospects of being a parent again so I just buy myself pink, flowery, butterfly stuff!

Elaine said...

Yeah, I'm already losing it over John's fleeting babyness. He's squirmier every day. Your writing is hilarious.

Sapp Family said...

All your kids are cuties! And Ava sure is a sweetheart. I'm so glad she doesn't mind coming to me and every once in a while she'll actually want me to hold her. :) Love those moments! And thanks for coming boating with us the other day...we sure had a blast with all of you guys!! :)