Friday, July 22, 2011

Hometown Hoopla

Once a year, our little town buzzes with excitement. The streets fill and families reunite to take in all of the festivities surrounding Lovell's Mustang Days. It's old-fashioned hometown fun at it's very best. I've heard some other locals say it's the highlight of their year. While I cannot say we are as passionate about the hullabaloo as some clearly are, it does provide some great family fun. And when you're taking it all in, you can't help but feel grateful to live in this close-knit community where most every face you see is a familiar one.

Family Fun Night at the park....
Owen's favorite carnival game was the fish pond. He fished at least a half dozen times.










The only shot of Emma......there was one super cute one with her and one of her besties, but I completely and unsalvageably overexposed it with my stellar picture taking skills.



Teen Night....

Chris was asked to take a shift in the dunking booth during the teen night bash. His shift was at 11:00pm, I went along with him so I could document the occasion in pictures. It was the first time we've been out alone together past 11:00pm in years....maybe even a decade. We pretended like it was a date.....a sort of lame one, but we take what we can get these days.
He drew quite a crowd of teens who were eager to dunk him. I told him I wasn't sure if he should be flattered or offended......clearly, he is either adored or despised:)
The crowd included quite a few of his basketball girls. They were very accurate with their throws (state champs, remember?) and they dunked him repeatedly.
Chris was such a good sport that night. The dunking water was freezing and he was dunked over 30 times. I cringed just watching him. I don't do repeated dunks in freezing water...not even for a good cause.




The Parade....


Owen rode with Chris and the basketball girls on the firetruck. He took the job very seriously and never cracked a smile.

The girls rode on the dance float. I didn't tell them beforehand where to look for me during the parade. I waved and hollared emphatically, but to no avail, none of them saw me.
Someone gave Ava an ice cream bar during the parade. She was in heaven....very messy, sticky heaven.

Since no one noticed me during the parade, I made the girls strike a few poses for me in the front yard after the parade....




The fireworks....





Random shot of Owen trying, unsuccessfully, to smile.

1 comment:

Kara said...

Your pictures are gorgeous and so much fun...I'm amazed at the firework ones and the ones at family fun night are so clear and perfect! You are very talented!
We too love Mustang Days! Chris is such a good guy, and I can promise you the line was long because he is adored!