Monday, March 14, 2011

Perfect Ending

I started this post about six times, only to resort to backspacing. I've been trying to find an eloquent way of summing up this year's basketball season. You see, when Chris was hired as head girls' basketball coach last spring, there was a bit of controversy. Although the support both then and now has truly been overwhelming, there were a few who vehemently opposed the change and weren't afraid to voice their opinions through various means that included, but were not limited to, traditional small town gossip, editorials in the local newspaper and even a random incoherent, profanity laced email that would most accurately be described as hate mail.

These details are only a precursor to the real story. A story that's about a group of incredible girls who are not only talented, but also driven and coachable. They were open and receptive to change and were willing to unite despite their differences. That's not to say there weren't moments of frustration and disagreements (we're talking teenage girls here, remember?), but they were able to set aside their differences and unite for a common goal. The story is also about a handsome coach who is passionate about the game of basketball, but even more passionate about the importance of building up today's youth so they are prepared to be leaders in the future. He too, was open and receptive, he listened when it mattered, and tuned out the static of the critics and naysayers.

They spent long hours in the gym, those girls and their coaches. They were dedicated to improving and stretching themselves to be better. And although, I believe coaches are vitally important to a team's success, ultimately, it was those girls who pulled together and rose above the rest. Bringing home a Regional Championship trophy and then, a week later, a State Championship trophy.



That's Grace to the far right, she got the chance to sit the bench as a manager during some of the games this season, including the championship game.



Carla even made it to two of the games at the state tournament.

We (meaning Me and our herd of littles) didn't venture south to the regional tournament. We did, however, brave the long drive to the state tournament. My mom was out of school for spring break, so she rode along with us. My sister lives in Casper and graciously opened her home to us. She even planned a list of activities and sites to visit to keep us busy while we were there. We visited the library for storytime, the dinosaur museum at the college, the indoor playplace at Menards and swam twice at the Aquatics Center. My mom and sister kept the kids while I went to Chris's games. It was the perfect ending to a long basketball season. 

9 comments:

MarsieMae said...

Yahoo! I bet Chris was a very caring coach. Glad you could come. I did enjoy your visit and having my house full of lots of little noises. Love you!

Kara said...

I was so proud of him and the girls! It WAS a perfect (and well deserved) ending. Congratulations!

Sapp Family said...

What a perfect ending! I'm so glad that things ended up working the way they did. You guys seriously deserve the best always. You and Chris are such great people! Probably the best people I know around here. :) We sure like you guys.

By the way, that post Chris wrote last week is so sweet! We love you guys!

Tracy said...

Well said!!

Happy Day for Chris and your little family!!

Mike and Marianne Grant said...

Congratulations to all of you! We wish we could have watched more of the games but those we saw were great!

Anonymous said...

That's AWESOME! How fun to have Marsie close by for all the state festivities, I bet that took the edge off the stress! Tell Chris we are proud of him...sounds like it would make a pretty good movie;)

The Leithead Family said...

ha ha! Larissa, I was thinking the same thing. Your story needs to be on the big screen!!! ;)

Lundberg Family said...

IT was a great season! We have enjoyes as a family watching the team the entire season! It was fun to watch and see the coaches and team pull together when it really mattered! Chris, Dave, and Bruce did a great job despite the icky start. We were always in his corner. We love your family!

Melanie Lennon said...

Congrats! And great pictures, I love the one with Chris and his mom.